Wednesday 18 June 2008

Dave Pan's first sample

It was my first night in Bulgaria and I'd heard about rakia but never tried it before. The restuarant we were in was quite posh as I ordered steak and chip and a glass of rakia. They all speak English here in Sofia, quite surprised.

The steak was crap and the chips were not chips but a oil ridden mash, but the rakia was very different. I asked for the best rakia but wasn't sure what they gave me but is was a very pale coloured drink with a distinctive smell which I never experienced before. On tasting it again nothing like this had been tried before, but I liked it. The burning sensation gave way after the first few sips and another two glasses were added to the evening.

Slightly light-headed the night was not the best night I ever had but the rakia was no longer a mystery. I'll be sampling quite a few more on my tour of Bulgaria these next two weeks.

Dave Pan

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...